Sunday 23 April 2017

Heroes of the Faith: Moses and Joshua - Men of His Presence

As we continue with our theme this year of Heroes of the Faith we come to Moses and Joshua. These are two of the most epic characters in the OT, their history is known to us, their adventures familiar, their accounts taught in Sunday Schools.

How on earth shall we then proceed with both of them in one message? I believe that we can see the common thread that made them both successful and emulate them.

We will read two Scriptures together (others will be mentioned).

Hebrews 11:24-30 NIV
[24] By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. [25] He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a short time. [26] He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. [27] By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king's anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. [28] By faith he kept the Passover and the sprinkling of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel. [29] By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned. [30] By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the people had marched around them for seven days.

Exodus 33:1-23 NIV
[1] Then the Lord said to Moses, "Leave this place, you and the people you brought up out of Egypt, and go up to the land I promised on oath to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, saying, 'I will give it to your descendants.' [2] I will send an angel before you and drive out the Canaanites, Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites. [3] Go up to the land flowing with milk and honey. But I will not go with you, because you are a stiff-necked people and I might destroy you on the way." [4] When the people heard these distressing words, they began to mourn and no one put on any ornaments. [5] For the Lord had said to Moses, "Tell the Israelites, 'You are a stiff-necked people. If I were to go with you even for a moment, I might destroy you. Now take off your ornaments and I will decide what to do with you.' " [6] So the Israelites stripped off their ornaments at Mount Horeb.
[7] Now Moses used to take a tent and pitch it outside the camp some distance away, calling it the "tent of meeting." Anyone inquiring of the Lord would go to the tent of meeting outside the camp. [8] And whenever Moses went out to the tent, all the people rose and stood at the entrances to their tents, watching Moses until he entered the tent. [9] As Moses went into the tent, the pillar of cloud would come down and stay at the entrance, while the Lord spoke with Moses. [10] Whenever the people saw the pillar of cloud standing at the entrance to the tent, they all stood and worshiped, each at the entrance to his tent. [11] The Lord would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks with his friend. Then Moses would return to the camp, but his young aide Joshua son of Nun did not leave the tent.
[12] Moses said to the Lord, "You have been telling me, 'Lead these people,' but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. You have said, 'I know you by name and you have found favour with me.' [13] If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favour with you. Remember that this nation is your people." [14] The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." [15] Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. [16] How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?" [17] And the Lord said to Moses, "I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name." [18] Then Moses said, "Now show me your glory." [19] And the Lord said, "I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. [20] But," he said, "you cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live." [21] Then the Lord said, "There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. [22] When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. [23] Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen."

Famous glasses: what you wear defines your character, how the world sees you, how you see the world!

What Lens Do You View Life Through?

Moses it was justice. His love of justice led him to murder! (Exodus 2:11-15).

Joshua it was war. He'd grown up in an atmosphere of tension and struggle.
Look what happens when Moses and Joshua return to the Israelites after receiving the Ten Commandments (for the first time). Note also that Joshua had hung around on the edge of the presence of God whilst Moses received these over a period of 40 days and 40 nights (Ex 24: 14 &18).
Exodus 32:17-18: When Joshua heard the noise of the people shouting, he said to Moses, "There is the sound of war in the camp." [18] Moses replied: "It is not the sound of victory, it is not the sound of defeat; it is the sound of singing that I hear."

How do you mistake the sound of singing for the sound of war? Because of what lens you view the world through - everything gets filtered by that. So when it reaches your brain you've reached a wrong conclusion!

The lens that you view life through will affect every decision, every direction and every outcome. No doubt about it.
  • If your lens is bitter you'll believe no one likes you.
  • If your lens is optimistic you'll believe everything works out for the better.
  • If your lens is angry you'll find conflicts where they never existed previously.
  • If your lens is selfish you'll always put yourself first.
  • If your lens is material you'll always view God's blessing as financial.
  • If your lens is family you'll always view success through your children.
No matter what our lens we have to have this adjusted to bring the God's priorities into right focus. He will use your lens but only to the degree it is submitted to Him.

Moses' justice lens was used by God to free the children of Israel and take them through the wilderness.
Joshua's warrior lens was used to defeat Jericho and win numerous battles.

What God does in these two men, Moses and Joshua, He desires to you in you too.

Where is Life Taking You?

Moses is given a choice. He is to go forward. Without God.

Moses and Joshua are men of mission. Joshua will see how Moses reacts to the prospect of completing the mission without God's presence.
Exodus 33:13-16: If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favour with you. Remember that this nation is your people." [14] The Lord replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest." [15] Then Moses said to him, "If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up from here. [16] How will anyone know that you are pleased with me and with your people unless you go with us? What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?"

Moses knew he needed the following to complete the journey he is on:
A. Teach me your ways (13).
It's God's way or the hard way! When your life is dominated by a lens then help needs to be given to refocus that lens in God's direction. We need Him to teach us His ways. His ways are above our preference, above what offends us, above our desires, above our strategy, above our plans (Isaiah 55:9).

B. Don't leave us (15)
Moses knew going forward without God would be foolhardy. He knew if he was to do things God's way then he knew He would need daily guidance from the Lord.

How often people complain to me that God seems uninterested, He is remote, He is distant, yet their Bible's remain pristine and unused, and their knees un-calloused from lack of prayer.

He has promised never to leave us nor forsake us (Matt. 28:20). We need to make the same promise to Him!

C. God's Favour (16)
What does God's favour look like?

Well depending on your lens, it will look different to different people. There is one major characteristic though - it makes you look different from everyone around you: What else will distinguish me and your people from all the other people on the face of the earth?

Often we think it is the way we behave that doing this makes us different from the world. To a degree it does. But that invites the presence of God. It invites His Spirit to dwell and reside. For just as a dove (one of the pictures of the Holy Spirit - Mark 1:10) will not rest on rotting flesh so the Spirit will not rest on un-sanctified flesh.

What Do You Value Most?
Joshua we see is dwelling in the presence of God. At this time he is a servant. He has things he could be doing! He dwells and lingers in the tent of meeting (11)!

Moses could have had a great victory. He could have gone his own way. He won't budge. He negotiates!
He talks with God.
[Moses]: Who will go with us? Teach me your ways? [God]: I will go with you.
[Moses]: Not enough. I need you to promise not to change your mind. And I need your favour.
[God]: I will do as you ask.
[Moses]: One more thing, show me your glory! Make us different to those we meet.
[God] OK, but in the safety of the cleft!

Up until the time when Moses asked to see God's glory - to see God Himself - not God in a cloud, or fire or burning bush - but to to see God Himself everything that had been  asked for was exactly the same as it was before! Moses is showing a hunger for God.


Key to life: We have to value His presence over our present!

Whatever is going on in life, God's presence is essential to live. Do not think  that God has abandoned you if you have decided to walk your own road.

There is so much in church life that we do that, to be honest, is not essential. They're all good things. Without the presence they are hollow things.

I am not interested in church politics. I'm craving more of the presence.

Here's the problem. The presence of God interrupts the present.
His presence messes up our:

  • our present agenda,
  • our present priorities,
  • our present circumstances,
  • our present comfort,
  • our present contentment,
  • our present apathy.

His presence resounds with joy, adventure, success, inroads on our dark roads, and our submission to Him.

Show us your glory! (Exodus 33:18)

We need God's glory! Not to have a good meeting - although I am sure we will - but so we can move forward!

You know Moses prayed this when he had a signs and wonders ministry. He had a pillar of fire and cloud. He'd seen his staff turning into a snake and munch the Egyptian sorcerers snakes/staffs. He's seen plagues. He'd crossed the Red Sea. He's got all the trimmings that so many of us pray for! But he still needs God!

We read that in Exodus 34: 29-35 (esp. 33&35), that Moses had to cover His face because He now radiated the glory of God. Wouldn't church be regent if we had to issue paper bags for you to cover your faces at the end of the services?

Friends our greatest need is not what we think in is!
We may think we need a new job, a new car, new house, new this or that.

Your strongest opinion is not the thing where God wants your attention focussed either. It must be on Him.

Matthew 22:37-39: Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' [38] This is the first and greatest commandment. [39] And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbour as yourself.'

The greatest commandment is to love God - with the three areas of our lives:
our heart = our passions
our soul = our being
our minds = with our thoughts

When we do we will want His presence to ruin our present!

Wrapping this up:
It is time to allow God to transform the vision of your life.
It is time to learn to dwell in His presence.
It is time to know His ways, His presence, His favour.
It is time to plead to see Him, His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment